Friday, May 27, 2011

Effective ways to Carry Water Outdoors

Being able to carry sufficient water is a survival must. Dehydration can cause you to collapse in the heat or in the cold, and it can kill you. Every survival kit should have some way to carry and purify water.
In the early 1970s, I never filtered drinking water in the mountains. I’d carry a filled quart military canteen as
This plastic canteen is cheap and rugged
insurance, but I never passed a clear-running stream without taking out my Sierra cup and sampling.
I hiked the John Muir Trail; through Yellowstone, and various other western mountain ranges without ever purifying water and I never got sick. But, I’d never do that today because of the potential for getting really sick. I always carry water on outings, and some way of purifying it.
As you put together a survival kit or update your equipment, here are some effective ways to carry water worth considering.

No comments:

Post a Comment